Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 00:49:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feeling old

>For as long as I've been involved with computers, I've been told (in
>essence) that only the young folks fresh out of college are capable of
>writing great software.  As if technological senility sets in by the
>time you're 25.  Then I see pictures of the core team and other well-
>known members of the FreeBSD community and get confused.  Then I see
>all the young faces of the various groups in my area and begin to feel
>old and even more confused.  Does anyone really know the average age
>of the core team and said peripheral contributors?  I know the age
>thing has been hashed endlessly, but each time the question has never
>really been answered IMO.

   I'm 31. Jordan is a few years older. About 90% of the core team is in the
30-45 range. I think John Polstra is the oldest, but I don't know his exact
age (somewhere in the mid 40s). I'd guess the average age of contributors is
around 25-30 due to a large number of college aged people skewing the average
downward a bit.
   I don't recall ever feeling technologically senile. :-)

-DG

David Greenman