Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:03:33 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Mattias writes:
>
> > You simply can't stresstest to the point
> > that customers won't find problems anyway.
>
> They should not be seeing problems every 48 hours, as has been indicated
> here.
>
> > That is why the closed source companies have
> > betatesters and releases betas to the public.
>
> Beta testers agree to put up with whatever bugs arise.  Often they agree not
> to use beta software in critical production as well, or at least discharge
> the vendor from responsibility if they do.

See, I think the point you are missing is that, for all intents and
purposes, I "volunteered" to high load, real life, production servers in
order to thrash and pound the -STABLE branch ... I've never asked for, nor
expected, a bug free OS, only some means to have the critical bugs (those
bugs that result in the server crashing) addressed ... posting to -stable
the output of gdb and getting silence in exchange is not it ... most of
the crashes are repetitive, same area of code each time, so if that could
get fixed, it would hopefully be longer between crashes ...

Ask Matt, I'm pretty much willing to do anything to make -STABLE *solid*
when it crashes ... the bug that he fixed way back for me, while trying to
debugging, I even went to the extent of asking if there was something we
could run on the server to make it crash *faster* ... a crash on my
servers takes between 1 and 2 hours to happen, since its dumping core to
the other server, which affects my clients ... but if I can get the bug
fixed that caused that crash, its all the better for my clients in the
long run ...