Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:43:47 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        "Coercitas Temet'Nosce" <coercitas@hotmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE : IPFilter

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:43:27PM +0100, Coercitas Temet'Nosce wrote:
> Yes, kinda :p
>
> Thanx for all your answers btw

Are you getting confused between ipfw in Linux and ipfw in FreeBSD maybe?
When I first saw ipfw I thought it must be old and obsolete, because it's been around
for a long time, whereas Linux has had lots of different firewalls, with
ipfw being in 2.0, ipchains in 2.2 and ipfilter in 2.4.   ipfw in
FreeBSD is just like ipfilter in Linux - it too can do connection
tracking, and just like while in Linux you've got iptables in the user-space
and ipfilter in the kernel, in FreeBSD there's ipfirewall in the kernel
and ipfw is the user-space control program.     I don't know much about
firewalling in FreeBSD since I've not been using it all that long, but
from what I understand, ipfw has taken over from ipf as the main
firewalling system.

--
Bruce Cran