Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2014 14:08:07 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ddb_enable="YES" by default?

--nextPart1586536.letjnL5TKF

On Friday 05 September 2014 13:51:24 Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:54 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:=

> > Probably at least 50% of the time when I work with a user on a bug =
report,
> > I ask them to go into kgdb and run specific commands to extract mor=
> > detailed info (print some struct, etc.).
>=20
> Sure, I understand, but you are not working with every user who
> encounters a kernel panic in FreeBSD.  For the average or casual
> FreeBSD user, such as desktop
> users of FreeBSD or PC-BSD, wouldn't it be better
> to have ddb_enable=3D"YES" be the default in FreeBSD?  The ddb script=

> there does a fairly reasonable
> job of gathering some useful info which can be analyzed later, and
> then rebooting the box.
>=20
> For more expert users, or people developing products, they can set
> ddb_enable=3D"NO"
> and do more advanced debugging.  Or hook into /etc/rc.d/ddb and defin=
> a different
> ddb script which doesn't do textdumps on kernel panic.

I think what John was saying was at that point it's too late.  The loss=
 of the=20
crash dump means the one shot at getting more information is gone.

For reproducable crashes, yes, an end user could just flip the bit.  Bu=
t for a=20
one-off, it's too late.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246