Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:15:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stephen Corbesero <flash@cs.moravian.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum experimentation

I hope this is information is useful.  I am really hoping to have a
working vinum in FreeBSD 5.x.

As we all know, vinum has been cranky for a little while now.  It
seemed to work fine for me in the early 5.0's, but went 'south"
sometime as the 5.1's began coming out.

I have been playing with it on a couple of machines at work, and I
have noticed the following behaviors.  I am mostly playing with
mirroring some volumes on two IDE drives.

  * If I start vinum manually after the system is up, and shut it down
    manually before I do a reboot, the configuration seems to survive
    just fine.  On the next boot, I can again start vinum manually,
    the drives are read, and I can mount the partitions.

  * If I let vinum come up automatically (setting start_vinum="YES" in
    rc.conf), then one of the following will happen.

      a) a system panic before the boot process is completed
      b) at least one of the vinum can not be found, so anything that
         drive is down/faulty.   did discover, however, that if I
         recreate the drive in vinum, the plexes cheerfully come back.
      c) the vinum drives can be found, but no volumes are defined
         anymore

  * If I manually shut vinum down before rebooting, but let the system
    start it automatically, the same problems (a..c) occur as described
    in the previous bullet

If this is useful, and someone would like more information, I'll be
happy to continue my experiments.  My systems are rather generic.

--
Stephen Corbesero
Associate Professor of Computer Science