Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:41:37 -0500
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and hang during reboot

Joel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just about every machine I have seems to hang after running freebsd-update and doing a reboot. The last message on the screen is "All buffers synced” and it just freezes.
>
> This happens when doing a freebsd-update and going from 10.0 to 10.1, but also when doing a fresh 10.1 install and using freebsd-update to get the latest -pX security patches. As soon as I reboot the machine, it hangs.
>
> I’ve tried it on several different HP ProLiant models, on Intel NUCs and on VMware virtual machines. Same phenomenon everywhere. It’s really easy to trigger: just install 10.1, use default settings everywhere, freebsd-update fetch/install, shutdown -r now and BOOM. It hangs. I think I’ve seen it on
>

> 30 servers or so now.
>
> Everything works like it should after the initial hang tough - no matter how many times I reboot it completes the reboot cycle just fine.
>
> I’ve seen several people (mostly on IRC) mention this problem, but no solution.
>
> Is anyone working on fixing this?

I ran into this problem in spades when upgrading a set of servers from
FreeBSD 9.0 to 9.1.  I happened consistently.  Normal reboots worked,
but when going from 9.0 to 9.1, it *ALWAYS* hung, and it always hung
at the same place, after printing the "All buffers synced" message.

I ultimately determined that if I did the following, rather than
just a "reboot" or "shutdown -r now 'FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE upgrade'",
it would consistently AVOID the hang:

sync ; sync ; sync ; shutdown -o -n -r now "FreeBSD 9.1 install"

Your mileage may vary, but you don't have a lot to lose by trying it.

-Kurt