Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:11:22 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        "Kurt Jaeger" <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Procmail Vulnerabilities check

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 09:23:55 +0100 "Kurt Jaeger" <lists@opsec=2Eeu> said

> Hi!
>=20
> > > With transparency, I mean:
> > > - reverse dns is set
> > > - scan from the same IP all the time
> > They don't=2E For the sake of argument, I'll name showdan; they use (off
> > the top of my head) some 9 to 12 addresses=2E Addresses the move, also=2E :=
(
>=20
> If their IPs are published somewhere in a parseable format,
> I'm fine if it's multiple IPs or if they move etc=2E
>=20
> > > https://github=2Ecom/TLS-Check/tls-check
> > I respectfully agree to disagree with you on this=2E Mostly on one point;
> > I should be informed *prior* to the port scan/audit, not *after*=2E
>=20
> What type of announcement on what list/forum/irc-channel would you
> accept/monitor/etc ?
>=20
> Would it be sufficient, if the PTR record has some TXT that points
> to the official site with the details of the scan ? So that
> during incoming scans you can automatically look up the source
> of the scan ?
>=20
> That would differentiate a research scan from an attack scan, wouldn't it=
 ?
>=20
> Given that most attackers scan unannounced, and systems have to handle
> that case, I do not see the problem in scans being done unannounced, btw=2E
OK My knee-jerk reaction is; there is no such thing as a "good" broad based
scan -- ever=2E But big data is all the rage these days=2E So that kind of data
is worth big bucks, and everybody wants a piece of the action=2E
The scan I found most offensive, was conducted by IANA (as memory serves)=2E
It was just around the time chicken little was screaming the IP4 address
exhaustion sky was falling=2E What I found most offensive about it, was that =
it
was performed by one of the root servers=2E I have all the data somewhere,
including some log excerpts=2E But I'm not going to have time to try and find
it this morning=2E The purpose, again, as memory serves; was to see how much
of the IPv4 address was actually being used, and what for=2E Frankly, I say
bullshit! Again, I could liken it to real life situations; I bought an
automobile from a car dealership, only to find later, that they've put some
monitoring device in it, that tracks everything done with, and in it=2E OK
that may not have been the best example; as one could argue that the onboar=
computers in newer cars are already capable of doing much of that, already=2E
But I think you can see my point -- privacy should always be respected, and
any (potential) violation should avoided=2E It should be an "opt in"=2E One sho=
uld
have the opportunity waive their rights to privacy=2E By virtue of being conn=
ected
to the internet, does not, nor should not assume you no longer have the fin=
al
say on your termination point on the vast network called the internet=2E Sorr=
y=2E
I know the preface is a bit long=2E But I wanted to be clear, and this was as
concise as I could get=2E I wanted to cover all the bases before articulating
my responses to your questions=2E Using (any) of the root servers to perform
such tasks is especially egregious, given that we *depend* (see; require) t=
hem
to keep the internet functional=2E So it's harder to justify blocking all tra=
ffic
from their location=2E
I guess I've probably already answered your questions=2E But to address them
specifically;
ICAN/IANA should probably have a registry for any/all so-called; above boar=
scanning projects/initiatives/skript-kiddies=2E IOW, if such a thing should/c=
ould
be considered "acceptable"=2E One should be *required* to register at IANA=2E
They must be required to fully explain their purpose, their intent, how the=
intend to perform it, they should also be required to produce a schedule,
including the times, and dates, and what the data will be used for=2E The las=
item is the one I find most troublesome=2E The chance that data will not be s=
hared
is next to nill=2E That that data won't be used for reasons *you* as a target=
,
don't approve of, is next to nill=2E But if it is to ever be "permissible"=2E T=
hose
should be the minimal terms=2E A fee must be required=2E This will help ensure =
that
IANA can maintain, and enforce these requirements, lessen the likelihood th=
at
anyone do any of this on a whim=2E Lastly; for the "target"=2E IANA must one)
make the registry, and it's content public=2E two) IANA should create an RSS,
and a list-feed, that the potential targets can subscribe to=2E Oh, and there
should be some (further) restrictions imposed on the registrants regarding
(at least) the load(s) they may impose upon their targets/victims=2E OH, you
asked about (DNS) TXT entries=2E That would help, I suppose=2E In fact, as memo=
ry
serves, that's what they (IANA) did in the one I mentioned above=2E But I thi=
nk
that's far too little, and ends up too late=2E Registration, and guidelines
are the only thing that can even come close to making any of this seem even
slightly tolerable, and even then=2E=2E=2E :-)
Sorry=2E This turned out much longer than intended=2E I'm afraid I did all this
as it came to me=2E Rather than better formatting it all=2E Hope you, and other=
will forgive me=2E My intents were pure=2E :-)

All the best to you, Kurt!

--Chris