Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:20:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: gPhoto2 / USB

[ On Friday, October 6, Richard Tobin wrote: ]

> I had to make a number of minor hacks to get things to compile, which
> I unfortunately did not record in detail.

Me too ... for whatever reason the "autogen.sh" script fails to create the
proper files and 'autoconf' doesn't create the proper configure script. I
resorted to getting 0.1.1's configure script and using that. Even still there
was a Makefile problem with including the freebsd.c file as OS_SUPPORT.

> I had no idea what was meant to happen here, so I just took out all
> but the "OS_SUPPORT = freebsd.c" line.  Perhaps some autoconf/gmake
> expert can tell us what the right fix is.

I sure wish we could get one to visit this project for a bit. I logged into a
Linux machine that had identical automake, gm4, and autoconf binaries as I've
got installed here and the "autogen.sh" script and ./configure got everything
up and running there no problem. Beats me.

After manually hacking the Makefile I ended up cutting and pasting "libtool"
commands in order to get the freebsd objects created and the final .so and .a
files created in .libs.

But, IT WORKED! I recompiled my favorite program for the S10, s10sh

  http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/s10sh/

for USB support and it worked like a charm (aside from the copious debugging
printfs in the libusb code). MAJOR speed improvement over serial <grin> :)

> I used the version from CVS, which seems to have changed since 0.1.1.
> (That probably means you need to recompile libgpio if you already compiled
> it with libusb 0.1.1 installed.)

Yes, I figured as much and am now working off those sources as well. I did see
that they already put your freebsd.c as version 1.2 in their repos.

> I already did.  In fact, if you check out the CVS version now you'll
> see that they've merged in my changes.

yup.

> Yes, everything seems to be separate.  I think you need gPhoto2, libusb,
> libgpio, and gtkam.  I used the current CVS versions of all of these.

We gotta roll ports of all these suckers ...

johannes@erdfelt.com: How does one gain developer access to your CVS repo?
Hacking on this has been quite fun and I believe we could get things polished
up a bit for FreeBSD. Are you open to more committers or would you rather get
'cvs diff' output to review and commit?

-Jr