Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 00:29:49 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet, but takes 1O's of seconds

--On Mon, 24. Mai 1999 17:16 +0200 Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
wrote:

> somehost and mainrouter can telnet into accesserver just fine, but
> after  the initial telnet connect handshake, it takes maybe 30 - 60
> seconds before  we get a login prompt from accessserver.

The Telnet daemon usually does a reverse lookup to see who is
connecting. If the address of the client has no DNS reverse lookup, the
Telnet daemon may under some circumstances wait until DNS times out,
which takes roughly the time you mention. The easiest fix is to provide
proper reverse lookups in the DNS for your hosts.

Greetings, Juergen.