Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 16:14:52 -0700
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bash lockups

I have been experimenting with FreeBSD for a while, and I consistently
get bash lockups at irregular intervals when it is otherwise idle.  By
lockup, I mean that it stops responding to the keyboard and uses 100%
CPU.  It will sometimes go for days with no problems, but I had two
yesterday, and other today.  They have occurred on test systems
running in VirtualBox and on a real computer, both i386 and amd64
images, and a mixture of 7.1, 7.3 and 8.0.  They usually seem to
happen when I am switching tabs in konsole or switching shells in
screen, but other times I think they happen when I am not even using
the system.  The only thing I have found I can do is to do a kill -9
and start a new shell.

Does anybody have any suggestings on how I could try to trace this?  I
haven't been able to find any bug reports, but I don't know enough to
know how to search the FreeBSD problem reports very well.

Thanks for any help.  I already subscribe to this list, so there is no
need to cc me.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org