Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:44:35 -0700
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live.com>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Configuring for the Compaq Presario 7360 audio device?

> > pci_cfgintr_search: linked (2) to configured irq 3 at 0:8:0
> > pci_cfgintr: 0:9 INTA routed to irq 3
> > pcic0: <TI PCI-1225 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 3 at device 9.0 on pci0
>
>This looks kind of strange. And it prevents your 2nd serial port (sio1)
>from working too.
>
>I thought everything on the PC card controller side used shared
>interrupts now, typically on irq 10. Did you have to frob anything to
>get it working?

I already had
         hw.pcic.ignore_function_1=1
in "/boot/loader.conf" in order to get my PCI<->PCMCIA adaptor (with a "wi"
device) to work.  (This was advice from Warner Losh.)  But I didn't have
"hw.pcic.intr_path" or "hw.pcic.irq" set, because they didn't seem to be
needed before.

>I /think/ that in that case you might need:
>
>hw.pcic.intr_path=1
>hw.pcic.irq=0

The good news:
- when I added those two lines (to "/boot/loader.conf"), I was able to also add
         snd_maestro3_load="YES"
   to load the PCM device:
   pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0x1000-0x10ff irq 5 at device 13.0
on pci0
   without the kernel hanging during booting.
The bad news:
- when I added these two lines (to "/boot/loader.conf"), my "wi" (Orinoco
wireless LAN) device no longer initializes properly:

         wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 13 slot 0 on pccard0
         pcic0: Hardware does not support irq 13.
         wi0: bus_setup_intr() failed! (22)
         device_probe_and_attach: wi0 attach returned 22

beforehand, the "wi" device would initialize (correctly) as follows:

         wi0 at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0

This "pcic" stuff is a black art to me.  Any idea what I can do (e.g., in
"/boot/loader.conf") so that (i) my "wi" device initializes correctly, and
(ii) I can load the ESS Allegro audio device?  (I've cc'd Warner on this
msg, although he's probably sick of answering questions about "pcic" :-)

         Ross.

ps. Another (possibly) dumb question: Assuming I can get the PCM device
loaded correctly (without messing up my "wi"), how do I then create the
/dev/pcm device?  I.e., what arguments do I give to "mknod"?  ("pcm" is not
mentioned at all in "/dev/MAKEDEV")