Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10757: bsd.port.mk: Test for OS levei is backwards

The following reply was made to PR ports/10757; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: patl@phoenix.volant.org
To: dann@greycat.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:38:35 -0800 (PST)

 > >Synopsis:       bsd.port.mk: Test for OS levei is backwards
 > 1.307 of bsd.port.mk attempts to ensure that the old behavior of fetch
 > is still maintained.  Code follows:.if exists(/usr/bin/fetch)
 > .if ${OSVERSION} < 300000
 > FETCH_CMD?=             /usr/bin/fetch
 > .else
 > FETCH_CMD?=             /usr/bin/fetch -A
 > .endif
 >
 > This causes the -A flag to be used on 3.x systems, where it is obsolete.

 No, the -A flag is new.  (As in post-3.1-RELEASE).  It will be in the
 3.2 release.  If you are going to keep your ports directory up to -stable,
 you need to install the misc/31upgrade package.  (NOTE: You must install
 the package, not the port.)

 The test is against '300000' because the -A parameter hasn't been
 back-ported to the 2.2.? fetch binary for the 22?upgrade packages.
 And since it wasn't added to bsd.port.mk until after 3.1-RELEASE,
 it is reasonable to assume that any 3.x system which encounters it
 has been updated for ports-stable.

 (Or at least that's what I've gathered as an outside observer...)

 -Pat