Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 22:10:30 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@angmar.mel.cybec.com.au>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: include libc_r in 2.2.6

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Tom wrote:

>   mit-pthreads actually.  However, using mit-phreads results in a slower,
> somewhat crippled build of MySQL.  However, the fact that MySQL bundles
> in mit-pthreads in nice.  The LDAP stuff only works with libc_r though.
>
> > Or am I missing something here?
>
>   Yes.  libc_r is the best Posix threads implementation for FreeBSD.
> Either ports use a crippled lib like the mit-pthreads (which does not
> support pipes for one), or in some cases they can't be built at all
> (LDAP).

I'm running the LDAP port here. When I installed it I didn't even know
libc_r existed, and I've never built it. The UMich LDAP appears to have a
fall-back for systems lacking threads support. Unfortunately it is buggy
in this case, it kept eating 100% of the CPU. I've managed to hack the
source to fix this, however.

Of course, I'm sure LDAP performs better with pthreads than without.