Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:49:48 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Lyndon Griffin <lgriffin@bsd4us.org>
Cc:        Mark Tempel <mtempel@visi.com>, freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Timeline for development

Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> <:)  Lyndon Griffin
> http://www.bsd4us.org
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > port ASAP.  Having a CVS repo or something like that for them to drop
> > stuff in as it is complete, or at least complete enough, will allow them
> > to contribute almost immediately.
>
> I'm going to try to get a server up this weekend...  I'm new to CVS,
> unfortunately, but I'm sure I can hack my way through it...
>

> > Oh please, just go with sparc-sun-freebsd.  ;^)
> >

> Why not sparc-sun-unknown-freebsd?  It should make you both happy.

I used to build compiles for x86 svr4 with "bozotheclone" in the vendor field.
Someone at Intel (a customer in those days) noticed and complained.  <Sigh>

The total percentage of SPARC systems sold by vendors other than Sun is so
small as to be ignorable.  Besides, most of the tools will automagically
guess "sun" given the architecture "sparc".  Why make it difficult?

Plus, I'm a Sun bigot.  ;^)

> > No, but I can tell you your best bet is to pick a home for the cross tools
> > and dump the entire set of FreeBSD include files in that home somewhere.
> > When we start getting down to it, we can create the sparc specific include
> > files, comparing the alpha and i386 ones as a starting point.  It might be
> > a good idea to start thinking about sparc vs. sparc64 early on as well.
>
> The elusive clue!  Could this be the info I need to get the cross-compiler
> built?

Perhaps.  Pester Mr. O'Brien if you need help, but be aware he is busy with
many things right now.  He's a SPARC fan too, so he's willing to help.