Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:59:57 +0100
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Linux EXT4 dump/restore equivalent?

We use dump to backup ext4 filesystems on linux (Centos6) at work

>From the linux dump changelog
Changes between versions 0.4b41 and 0.4b42 (released June 18, 2009)
18. Add (preliminary) ext4 support - thanks to libext2fs which does
all the job for us. Thanks to Gertjan van Wingerde
<gwingerde [at] gmail> for the patch.

Without wishing to bash Linux (I wouldnt be in my job without it,) its
man pages are really not very up to date, as the manpage for dump fails
to mention this.
Centos 6 dump version is
dump 0.4b42 (using libext2fs 1.41.12 of 17-May-2010)

I havent used slackware in many years but it used to be my distro of
choice until I moved to FreeBSD.

Hope this helps,
Vince