Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:16:06 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why I am opposed to a Standards Ghetto

> From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: Sun 27 Oct, 2002
> Subject: Re: Why I am opposed to a Standards Ghetto

> So why is a small incompatibility in expr(1) so important to you when
> the small incompatibilities in sh(1) not?

I dealt with incompatibilities between sh(1) implementations years ago;
this is the first time I've come across an expr(1) that breaks my scripts.

> (As we have already noted,
> Solaris has both a twenty-year-old backwards shell and a working POSIX
> shell.)

My scripts work just fine with both.

What's non-working about /bin/sh?

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses