Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:24:57 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Seunghun T. Lee" <seunghun@stlee.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which compiler is used for ISO binaries?

--u65IjBhB3TIa72Vp

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:10:00PM -0700, Seunghun T. Lee wrote:

> I was just wondering which compiler is used to compile the binaries
> on the freebsd iso's. I am holding out from upgrading until it is
> compiled with gcc3 preferably gcc3.3. I remember it was a big deal
> when RH linux was shipped compiled with gcc3 and advertised speed
> increase. I'm currently on freebsd 5.0p4 current or something like
> that. I'm intrigued by ATAng, since the only way i'm getting the ata
> drives to spindown is with a patch i found online.

The default system compiler in recent 5.x is gcc-3.3.3: see

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/gcc/ChangeLog?rev=3D1=
=2E1.1.25&content-type=3Dtext/x-cvsweb-markup

It's a slightly modified version of the FSF gcc distribution.

However, don't expect too much from simply upgrading the compiler --
most of the performance improvements you're going to see will be due
to improved coding of the rest of the system, particularly work on the
threading libraries and decreasing the granularity of kernel locks.
gcc-3.3.3 was imported for many reasons, but better code output was
probably less important than the fact that it has far more support for
the new tier-1 one architectures (AMD64, ultrasparc, etc.) which the
old gcc-2.95 (as seen in 4.x) doesn't have.
=20
> also, 5.3R's release date is "TBD 2004." What's TBD stand for?

To Be Decided
=20
> frankly, is 5.3R worth waiting for? or should i go with 5.2.1?=20
> This is my very first freebsd install (started with 5.0R when it
> just came out) and I don't think I took very good care of it. ports
> building are failing left and right, for one. It's acting as my
> household all-purpose server for the family as well as my personal
> desktop, so I left it alone all this while. I'm itching to start
> fresh with the knowledge i gained about freebsd.

It depends.  Since you're running 5.0 already (which is an early,
slow, buggy technology preview release that isn't supported any more)
you clearly aren't betting your business on the stability of the OS
you're running.  Updating to 5.2.1 would be a good idea -- however,
due to various system changes, that's not a simple as it might be: you
should either read /usr/src/UPDATING carefully (once you've retreived
the latest RELENG_5_2 sources) or just do a re-install from CD Rom.
=20
> Lastly, does anybody have any personal experience with freebsd nfs
> server and mac os x nfs client? more specifically, how to map uid
> and gid?

As far as I know it works well enough.  See exports(5) for what
support there is for mapping user identities under NFS.  Generally NFS
expects that your user credentials will be the same on the server as
well as the client, and things will work a lot easier if you arrange
things that way.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20