Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:51:06 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
Cc:        Marcus Alves Grando <mnag@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: sqlite3 - any plans to update?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:35:43 -0600, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com>  =

wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2007 12:25 PM, Maxim Khitrov <mkhitrov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 29, 2007 6:50 AM, Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > First of all - why this is a question and not PR with patch to upda=
te  =

>> -
>> > there are too many dependant ports which I have no way to test and
>> > current stable version is 3.5.4, which isn't minor modification (I
>> > think). And I'm getting spammed by bogofilter trying to convince me=
>> > update sqlite to at least version 3.4.2.
>> >
>> > So, are there some showstoppers or is it just ETIME & EHOLIDAYS? :-=
)

>> > TIA,
>> > Yuri
>>
>> I e-mailed the maintainer as well as portmgr@. No response from
>> maintainer, but Pav Lucistnik suggested that I prepare the update the=
>> wait 2 weeks to allow anyone other than the maintainer (assuming that=

>> he is MIA) to commit. I even started looking at it, but I have about
>> 10 other things I need to be working on. I'll see if it's a simple
>> case of updating the makefile and distinfo. If not, it would probably=

>> be best if someone more familiar with sqlite (and ports) internals
>> handle the update.
>>
>> - Max
>
> I was able to build the new version, and it seems to be working.
> However, there were some major changes made (to sqlite and the port
> itself) and I wouldn't recommend using my version in a production
> environment. I had to get rid of the FTS options because those patches=

> didn't work anymore. In any case, the port has to be updated for FTS
> 3. I don't have the time right now to come up with something new.
> Also, it seems that this version now requires TCL 8.4 even when
> building without TCLWRAPPER. Not sure why it does this, the
> --disable-tcl switch is passed to configure but compilation still
> fails without tcl installed.
>
> Anyway, download the new port from the url below and extract it in
> /usr/ports/databases. It will create sqlite35 and sqlite35-threads
> directories. Other than the removal of FTS and new dependency on TCL
> 8.4, everything else should be the same as for sqlite3 port. Test it
> out, see if it works for you. If no one has any problems with it then
> maybe it can be added to the ports tree, but someone else will need to=

> maintain it. I don't have much time these days, unfortunately.

http://www.sqlite.org/34to35.html
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
6.0 Summary

The transition from SQLite version 3.4.2 to 3.5.0 is a major change. Eve=
ry  =

source code file in the SQLite core had to be modified, some extensively=
.  =

And the change introduced some minor incompatibilities in the C interfac=
e.  =

But we feel that the benefits of the transition from 3.4.2 to 3.5.0 far =
 =

outweigh the pain of porting. The new VFS layer is now well-defined and =
 =

stable and should simplify future customizations. The VFS layer, and the=
  =

separable memory allocator and mutex subsystems allow a standard SQLite =
 =

source code amalgamation to be used in an embedded project without chang=
e,  =

greatly simplifying configuration management. And the resulting system i=
s  =

much more tolerant of highly threaded designs.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Someone might need to create sqlite35 instead of update to 3.5.x in  =

sqlite3. If it can be done to update 3.5.x in sqlite3, then I would hold=
  =

on until ports tree is complete unfreeze (still thaw).

Cheers,
Mezz

> - Max

-- =

mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/  -  gnome@FreeBSD.org
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia@FreeBSD.org