Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:40:05 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@helan.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Corp

> > >But you can disable it :-)
> >
> > Sure if you want to plunge into the registry.
>
> Not so. From any Communicator window select Communicator -> AOL
> Instant Messenger, then in the set-up dialogue box (if you get a box
> first asking what type of connection you have, just click cancel)
> select the ``misc'' tab and un-check ``Start AIM when Windows
> starts''. Voila, no AOL Instant Messenger :-)

Unfortunately that only disables it for the user profile you're logged in
as; if you want to disable it from a PC with multiple users you have to
blast it in the registry or delete the .exe file. They could at least supply
a .reg file to do the job for you...

One thing that may come out of this - AOL's web server is actually quite
interesting. Embedded tcl and database access and it seems pretty speedy
in use at photo.net...hopefully they'll be able to revitalise some of the
Netscape servers. Also it would be nice if some of the AOLPress features
could be integrated into Composer (which has a better UI) - AOL's not the
ideal owner but things could have been a lot worse.

At least the AOL CD's will have Netscape on. Hopefully they can be persuaded
to put versions for multiple OS on them, now if AOL start sending out CD's
that say, Linux version, FreeBSD version, blah blah blah, it will do a lot
for publicity of OSS. Who knows?