Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:36:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hannes.sowa@t-online.de
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic installations

On 10-Sep-01 Christoph Sold wrote:
> hannes.sowa@t-online.de wrote:
>
>>Hello!
>>
>>Is there a method to install FreeBSD from CD without anyone controlling the
>>installation. It must also be possible to configure DHCP, VPN, Natd and
>>rounting, perhaps also other net-services. Is there a framework which can be
>>used by scripts(Perl, sh, etc...) to control such an installation? Perhaps,
>>something like this is in development. If not, perhaps this could be my first
>>FreeBSD-Project. :)
>>

> AFAIK, there is no suich thing (yet). Most ISPs do with duplicating
> existing HDs, then modifying that configuration. You may be able to get
> a decent DHCP configuration working on a master HD, then duplicate that.

It must be CDs. They will be send to the little offices of the company all over
Europe.

Perhaps it is possible to build a server with the correct kernel and
configuration of the network services and then to burn it on cd. A bootloader
on a floppy will copy the CD byte per byte onto the harddisk. The problem is,
that I don't know the hardware of the computers. But I think FreeBSD will run on
them with a GENERIC-kernel. They won't be too exotic.

Perhaps I will take a look at SuSE's alice, which provides this facility to
SuSE Linux.

bye Hannes