Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 08:47:42 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        dfk@wildcat.cs.dartmouth.edu, scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java?

|>  >   Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:24:19 +1000 (EST)
|>  >   From: Anthony Hill <ahill@netspace.net.au>
|>  >
|>  >   On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, David Kotz wrote:
|>  >
|>  >   > Anyone know if Java (interpreter and/or compiler component) will be
|>  >   > available for FreeBSD?
|>  >
|>  >   Well the new UNIX version of netscape (due in a few days) is supposed
|>  >   to support Java, dont know about authoring tools though.
|>  >
|>  >I don't want a browser, I don't want HotJava, I want to run Java
|>  >programs.
|>  >
|>  >dave
|>
|>  But that's what the browser does, right? (runs Java programs).  At least,
|>  HotJava did the last time I played with it.  The HotJava package included a
|>  compiler (I think) but I guess you won't get that with Netscape.

No, it runs Java applets.  Applets are not complete programs, and run in
a severely security-restricted environment.  HotJava itself is a Java
program.  Some of us want to take advantage of the binary portability
and clean language design of Java to write other programs.  (Personally,
I like to describe Java as "what C++ should have been.")

-Pat