Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:25:00 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting sysctl variables in Mac OS X with hw info

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org> [020313 15:56] wrote:
[ ... ]
> > Assuming that some or all of this information can be derived on x86 /
> > alpha / sparc, how useful do folks think it would be to have this
> > information be available from sysctl space?  I personally would love
> > to see CPU and bus speed info.
>
> Those look pretty good.  Having the cacheline size available
> would also help quite a bit for avoiding false sharing for
> allocation of data structures in smp.

This was actually discussed a while back (a month or two ago).

It got really bogged down when someone pointed out that
they were running CPUs with different clock rates in their
SMP box, just to see what the net effect would be.  THe
problem was, of course, which one do you report, when the
numbers don't match exactly, and/or how do you report both
(or N)?

-- Terry