Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:56:32 -0800
From:      "Mitch (Bitblock)" <mitch@bitblock.com>
To:        "'Elton Machado'" <elton.machado@norteglobal.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Load Balancing

> NiY wrote:
>
> >Greetings! I have yet to find a definitive answer on this subject, so
> >I was hoping someone would let me know the official way to go about
> >this, or if it's even possible.
> >
> >We have two ADSL services coming into out building. We would like to
> >use them both on one network, using a multi-homed FreeBSD box, if
> >possible. So the scenario would like this.
> >

> >ADSL1----\                                                             /
> -- Host
> >               Freebsd Load Balancer / NATD ---- Switch --  Host
> >ADSL2----/                                                            \ -
> -Host
> >
> >Can it be done?
>
> I have the same problem, in my case i have this scenario
>

> ADSL (Cisco 837)  ------
>                                          | ------  OpenBSD Gateway or
> FreeBSD -- Switchs -- LAN
> CABLE  (USR)     -------
>

> Problem is... I'm using diferent providers in eachlink, I would like to
> to jump from one connection to another when one fails,
> in best case, I would like to share traffic between then and in case of
> one fail all the traffic goes by only one of then.
>
> How can you get this thing woring fine?  and does it is possible? ;)
>
> Tia.
>
> Elton
[Mitch says:]
Short answer is "Yes".

For basic failover, I've used a script which monitors link status and
function (by pinging or connecting to a remote host). Failover is
accomplished by switching the default route.

Using ipfw fwd statements, you can make both links function at the same
time, using pf, you can supposedly do some sort of load sharing, but I
havne't used pf yet.

m/