Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:22:01 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>, freebsd-xircom@lovett.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Combo 100Base-T Ethernet/10 BaseT Ethernet/Modem/ISDN cards

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9909201526080.44626-100000@jade.chc-chimes.com> Bill Fumerola writes:
: On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Ade Lovett wrote:
:
: > 	mfbus0: <Xircom Multifunction Card> at pccard slot X irq Y
: > 	xe0: <Xircom Realport Ethernet> at mfbus0 ...
: > 	sio1: <Xircom Realport Modem> at mfbus0 ...
:
: This is the way that a certain other Washington-based OS handles it.

Then I'm definitely opposed :-)

Here's a sketch of my world view, which matches the newconfig code a
little:

	isa <-> pcic <-> pccard slot 0 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 0
			 pccard slot 1 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 1

or the more complicated card bus:
	pci <-> cbb <-> pccard slot 0 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 0
			pccard slot 1 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 1
			card bus slot 0 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 0
			card bus slot 1 <-> driver(s) for card in slot 1

The card bus machines would provide attachments to both a pccard slot
(for pccard devices in a card bus capable slot) and a card bus slot.
Multiple children would be allowed per slot to support multi-function
cards.  It is my understanding that these cards share an interrupt,
but otherwise function indepenently.

I hope to have something to share for the pcic and cbb drivers before
freebsdcon.  However, I suspect that hammering out everything is going
to take a while yet.  I'm looking for ways to open up the development
process.  Keep your eyes peeled to -mobile for ways of doing it.

Warner