Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:08:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        andrew@sour.cream.org, FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM Release Generation - (Re: Stable and CTM)

> Andrew Boothman wrote:
> > As the handbook states, there is no documentation on the creation of CTM
> > deltas so could you enlighten me as to why multiple source trees are
> > needed? Surely it is more or less a diff between the code as frozen on the
> > release date, and the code as it stands today?
>
> Yes. 1 copy for "release code", one copy for "current code". Multiply
> that by N for our different releases, the CVS tree and the ports
> collection, and things add up a tad.

i am just jumping in on the middle of a discussion so apologies if i
say stupid things... but isn't everything one needs in the CVS
repository so _in theory_ at least one could ask cvs, file by file, to
produce the differences without having to replicate things ? And, being
things stored in cvs, the deltas from one version to the other of the
same file are stored in a reasonable compact way...

... where is the code ? oh yes the code...

	cheers
	luigi