Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:34:46 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Mike Meyer wrote:

> If you haven't, find a copy of Raskin's "The Humane Interface", and
> read it. He argues - quite convincingly - that the real problem is
> that people are being offered applications at all. It's silly to have
> to start a "word processor" to deal with a document with words in it
> vs. having to start a "drawing program" to deal with a document with
> graphics in it when the operations on the two things are fundamentally
> the same: add, select, cut, copy, paste and set properties.

OpenDoc on OS/2 Warp, now there was a humane interface.

Problem is that the software companies aren't selling interfaces,
they're selling applications. It's going to be up to us non-commercial
Open Source types to take the best ideas of OS/2, RISCOS, and others and
combine them into a human interface. Unfortunately we seem too obsessed
with creating WIMP++ to have time to break the mold and start over.

David