Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:55:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard Link Count too small!

> > Yes.  And this is what must be prevented.  POSIX compliance must be
> > maintained by stable storage, ...
>
> So any system without RAID would be in danger of losing POSIX
> compliance under some circumstances.

Only if you refuse to provide atomicity for non-idempotent operations
against the FS.  Like if you mount the thing -async.  Otherwise, it
is deterministically recoverable to the correct state, as mandated
by POSIX, since it is done one-behind.  The VIVA FS papers provide
a wonderful study of the application of idempotence requirements in
the context of the POSIX standards.

There is a potential disconnect in the soft updates case for any
system (like FreeBSD) which unifies the VM and buffer cache.  For
those systems, soft updates will degrade to DOW performance in
order to make the guarantees, unless soft updates are implemented
at the FS/BIO (in the FreeBSD case, FS/VM) interaction layer instead
of in the FS proper.  This is pretty obvious from the Ganger/Patt
paper, for what it's worth.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org