Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:59:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> Oh, does it?  What problems have you seen?  You'd better tell all the
> people who are using it in production, too.
Ok can we stop with the insults? The point of this thread is research not
attacks on anyone. I have seen problems with disk mirroring using vinum in
which attempting to synchronize a new disk after a previous had failed
caused a kernel panic and left me with no way to recreate the failed disk.
This may have been fixed, however. At the time the problem was
reproduceable and I did not have the time to investigate further.

> It's the BSD disk label format.
That I discovered. I appreciate the answer.

> UFS on System V uses the System V partition table, which allows 15
> partitions.  I don't know what use even 7 are, which is probably one
> of the reasons nobody has done anything about it.
Actually I simply run everything off of the root partition and allocate
all of the space to that.

> Yes, this is the usual result of using too many file system
> partitions.
No this is a result of a mistake in estimating the size that a given
partition should be. This includes /var and / (although perhaps I
should simply have a single file system mounted off of /)

> I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but the best thing I can
> think of is Vinum.
Vinum is a volume manager. I dont see why it keeps coming up in reference
to a journaled file system. It is a key element to an HA cluster, however
one does not require the other.

-don