Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:43:33 -0700
From:      Alexey Yakimovich <aiy@ferens.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quality of FreeBSD

Hello,

I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1 release.
I really like it. I like everything: kernel, ports, development,
maintenance and release process.

Unfortunately I have so many problems with release 5, with ATA (FAILURE
- READ_DMA, TIMEOUT - READ_DMA, etc) in particularly.
Definitely I was using production releases only. Finally after so many
system rebuilds I found 5.3-RELEASE-p13 very stable.
But because of my previous great experience with FreeBSD I decided to
upgrade my 5.3 production to 5.4 production (5.4-RELEASE-p4). Now I have
the same ATA problems as I had with first 5.3 "production" release.
Please don't tell me that I have bad disk or m/b or ATA controller or
cable. I'm pretty sure, 90%, it's not hardware related problem.

My advice to FreeBSD release engineering team:
- do more testing;
- have it tested with hardware what was published in "Hardware Notes";
- do not release it for production if it is not in production quality;
- reread again what was written by yourself regarding 4.4 release
quality.
I wish to say more.

This mail was written because I like FreeBSD and I want to continue
using it. And wouldn't mind to wait longer for real production quality
releases instead of start using something else. And please, I know, it's
open source project.

Best regards,
Real FreeBSD fan