Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:06:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, jfieber@indiana.edu, grog@lemis.de, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > If you guys would adopt any system for producing docs that's documented
> > enough so I could actually use it, I'd be real happy.  Tossing linuxdoc
> > would make my day.
>
> Ain't gonna happen though - too much invested in it for a wholesale replacement, unless you're volunteering to rewrite the handbook and FAQ documents from
> scratch in a comfortably finite period of time.. :-)
>
> I have to wonder why you can handle troff (yuck!)  and not SGML
> though.  It's not as if the markup languages are THAT arcane, and if
> you've learned one you should be able to learn the other (the rest of
> us did, and we had nothing more to go on than the examples :-).

I need examples of stuff.  Show me an example of a table.  I could do
that trivially in either troff or LaTeX, but I can't find any in the
handbook, and there's no explanation anywhere I can find.  I could even
turn on underlining, only one kind of emphasis.  The idea of having to go
thru thousands of lines looking for one example, it makes it too hard to
figure out.

I did do a doc, and it got me even more frustrated.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |