Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:56:35 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LAN question

Ummm .... there's a new way to recompile the kernel.  You should read
/usr/src/UPDATING and follow the new method.

There was an update to the code but that's also noted:

20000803:
         The "installkernel" target has changed slightly. Now even if
         you override KERNEL e.g. 'make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL'
         it will install the MYKERNEL file (built with the buildkernel
         target) as /kernel rather than /MYKERNEL. Those who have
         updated their /boot/loader.conf files to point to /MYKERNEL
         should remove that entry or perform manual rename of /kernel
         to /MYKERNEL.

If you're just using 4.1-RELEASE then use this method:

         To build a kernel
         -----------------
         cd /usr/src
         # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
         # You will also need to update your config file to 4.0.  Usually
         # people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.0 and hack from there.
         make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
         make installkernel  KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
         # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
         # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         chflags noschg /kernel
         chflags noschg /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
         mv /kernel /kernel.old
         mv /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE /kernel
         chflags schg /kernel

If you've downloaded something newer than:

         To build a kernel
         cd /usr/src
         # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
         # You will also need to update your config file to 4.x.  Usually
         # people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.x and hack from there.
         make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
         make installkernel  KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
         # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
         # /kernel

Oscar