Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:28:01 -0800
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MGR and libvgl

> >   It is such a good idea that Microsoft will releasing "Microsoft Terminal
> > Services" for NT shortly!  This is technology absorbed from Citrix.
> > Product was originally called Winframe I believe.  The idea is to have a
> > central NT server with gobs of CPUs and memory, and desktops just run a
> > thin terminal client.  Citrix was claiming that their thin client could
> > run on a 286 with 1MB of RAM...
> >   And people thought that era of mainframes and centralized computing was
> > dead!

> Mmmm, and you should see the list of software which doesn't like running in
> Winframe because they assume they 'own' the machine <sigh>
> Its neat, but its still not as good as X =)
> (Of course X on a 286 would be a tad hard, but nonetheless..)

To be fair, it's not that bad. My employer has been beta-testing this
software for a few months now (because the USAF has an interest in it,
God only knows why!). Don't need a client. All you need is an X server.
My desktop down there is a SS-20 with Solaris 2.6. It also seems to
help that the SS-20 is OC-3 connected to the same switch as the NT box.

That said, there are indeed a number of applications which assume they
own the machine and video card where the user is located. This is not
an unreasonable assumption on the part of the software, if you consider
this an 80/20 situation.

Most other people who are using this Citrix spooge use the thin client
when dialed in over PPP. I've never used it, so I won't comment on it.

-scooter
--
Scott Michel                        | In life, there are sheep and there are
UCLA Computer Science		    | wolves.