Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:10:46 -0500
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, "Boris Samorodov" <bsam@passap.ru>
Subject:   Re: OptionsNG and defaults

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:52:35 -0500, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru> wrote:

> OK, let's say I as a maintainer _want_ to not install examples by
> default. The reason _why_ is out of a scope here. Do you say that
> I do not have a possibility to switch EXAMPLES option off by default?

Edit your port to be completely void of the word "EXAMPLES"

The only way the EXAMPLES are being installed is if you have something
like this in your port:

.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MEXAMPLES}
         @${MKDIR} ${EXAMPLESDIR}
         ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/examples/* ${EXAMPLESDIR}
.endif

Just don't put that in your port and everything will work as expected.
There is no magic here; there is no possible way for the port to
automatically detect and install EXAMPLES. It's up to you as the
maintainer to define what the EXAMPLES are in order for them to be
installable.