Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network/Routed Problem

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Dave Babler wrote:

> > Unfortunately the support for the Intel EtherExpress series leaves much to
> > be desired.  We had to abandon an EtherExpress16 on our 486 server due to
> > occaisional problems and traded it in for a totally flawless NE2000.
> >

> What problems did it have, Doug? I'm running this on a 486DX2-66
> currently.

It'd interrupt-lock and thus completely disable network traffic.  Fixing
it required a cold boot.  We could do this pretty easily by heavily
it). Basically, it couldn't handle the load.

> Well, I suppose if I have to, I will... except that it worked flawlessly
> up until the driver was merged with the ix cards. On the plus side, I can
> now run trafshow and other network tools - on the down side, that
> apparently causes it to lock up in an unexplained way. Just *how* it can
> survive EEPROM reprogramming and powerdowns and then suddenly start
> working again is pure voodoo.

Absolutely.  Gotta keep up on your sacrifices, have to keep those voodoo
gods happy....which reminds me, it's about time for my boxes.  Call in the
baby goat and the brazier...:)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo