Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2012 16:00:04 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patent hit - MS goes after Linux - FreeBSD ?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:27:50AM -0400, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> There are a number of essays on the error of the term "intellectual property"
> that are very good despite coming from Richard Stallman.

Your phrasing is hilariously accurate.

> If you go back and reread this thread you'll see this mistake underneath
> more than one post. For example, being clear on the copyright to all the
> source in FreeBSD does _zero_ in terms of protecting FreeBSD from claims
> of patent infringement.
>
> Software patents in practice are both so general and so stupid that there
> is zilch that FreeBSD, or any other organization or individual, can do to
> avoid accidentally infringing.

The conflation of different forms of "intellectual property" in the minds
of many is probably largely to blame for the fatuous nonsense of people
preferring the Apache License 2.0 over (for instance) the Simplified BSD
License (aka FreeBSD License) for its patent clause.  People are often so
unaware of the differences between copyright law and patent law that they
think a patent clause provides the same protections against malicious
patent litigation as copyright licensing provides against malicious
copyright litigation.  The truth of the matter is that a copyright is
held by a single entity, while patents differing only in phrasing and
patent number, covering the same basic software behavior, could in theory
be held by every single member of the human race.  As a result, a
copyright license provides protection against litigation by the one and
only copyright holder, but the patent clause in that license only
provides protection against litigation by one potential patent holder out
of billions.

I believe the main reason that people choose the Apache License 2.0 is
simply the lack of a copyfree license that comes with a patent clause
(and, for all the talk of the Apache License 2.0 being a "permissive"
license, it falls well short of being a copyfree license like the
Simplified BSD License).  That's why I rolled my own copyfree license
with a patent clause, even though I believe that in practice a patent
clause provides about as much protection as a "life vest" provides
against gunfire.

> "A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
> invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...
> in the vicinity of the cat, then moving the laser ... in an irregular way
> fascinating to cats,..." -- US patent 5443036, "Method of exercising a cat"

That's hilarious, and awfully depressing.