Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:22:09 -0500
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

--Apple-Mail-4--876983092

On Oct 31, 2003, at 12:10 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> I recently started reading Eric Raymond's
> _The_Art_of_UNIX_Programming_ and
> it's gotten me taking another look at the way I am in general.
>
> Just to make sure I'm not totally insane ...

Well that is debatable ;)

> When I am about to go somewhere in the car, I take a moment or two to
> plan out the optimal route to get to my various destinations.  If
> there are
> multiple destinations, I usually do a little thinking to determine what
> order to visit these destinations in order to make optimal use of my
> time.
> This is usually modified by the desire to choose a route that includes
> the
> fewest number of left turns possible (since right turns are cheaper
> than
> left turns, time-wise, and complexity-wise - you can make a right turn
> on
> red for crying out loud)
>
> Other programmers drive this way as well, correct?

I am a sys admin, and i tend to plan my routes, but its more intuitive
for me.  I just say ok i need to go to the seven eleven down that way
and go.  I don;t sit there and think every turn through i just go.

> The revelation is that I'm starting to understand that many
> non-programmer
> _don't_ generally evaluate their car trips like this.  I mean, I know
> that
> most people will plan out a route when they're going on a long trip,
> but
> this planning procedure occurs _every_ time I get in the car, even if
> I'm
> just going to the convenience store for some chips (I have to evaluate
> the
> fact that there are two convenience stores equaldistance from here,
> one is
> a less complex journey, while the other has a better selection!)

I tend to go to the one i just like better, distance is less of a
factor in some cases for me.

--Larry

--Apple-Mail-4--876983092--