Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:56:33 -0600
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd-xll@sentinelchicken.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 100% CPU and Black Screen When Starting with DRI

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007, at 12:40:32 -0500, Jason Morgan wrote:
> My Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf are attached. With these same settings,
> I've had 4 lock-ups this morning. After the last lockup, X would no
> longer start, the system would lock up, and then I had to SSH in to
> reboot the machine. I decided to reinstall the nvidia driver (the
> latest version, though I've had the same issues with the older
> drivers) and after a reboot, X is working again. I've had these same
> issues with the nVidia FX 5600 as well as the builtin video card. Any
> help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I just got done trying 7-CURRENT with the same setup. Unfortunately it
seems worse. Essentially it does the same thing (black screen/100%
CPU), but under CURRENT I cannot SSH in to reboot cleanly or get a copy
of the log. I tried having an SSH connection open before starting Xorg
but after 5-6 seconds of Xorg running with the maxed CPU, the SSH
session freezes and never seems to recover. I tried running X as root
and as a regular user...same thing.

I tried three times, all of which failed immediately with a black
screen and the CPU usage. One time I did manage to type dmesg on the
SSH session before that froze and there were no additional
messages/errors there in -CURRENT that were not present in 6.2-STABLE
or 6.2-RELEASE.

I'm willing to help however I can and try any possible solutions,
patches, etc. Thanks again.

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)