Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 00:31:04 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Miguel Sierra <msierra@bvinet.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting machine on internet

> Miguel Sierra wrote:
>
> Guys I'm having a problem getting my machine on the internet. This is my setup at home:
>
> I have 3 machines (2 windows and 1 freebsd). I have access via CableModem to the internet. I
> have one static IP that my windows machine needs to have it for me to get connected to the
> internet. However I have a proxy server on this windows machine. I set up the gateway and the
> DNS just like the windows machine, however I have a different IP in my FreeBSD server. I know
> the hub works, I know the proxy works, I know my IPs are fine in both machine. Everything
> works, except I can't see my Windows machine (proxy) to get on internet.
>
> I need help to get this box on the internet.
>
> Thank you in advance for all your help,

I have two quick suggestions.

First, tell "Internet Mail Service" (whatever THAT is) to STOP sending
HTML.  Send ASCII text instead.  It will be much more readable by
people on the FreeBSD mailing lists.  You will also want to keep
your mail messages within 80 columns, for those who are using text-
based mailers.

Second, you'll get your questions answered quickly and efficiently
on freebsd-questions.  The freebsd-net list is generally used to
discuss development of the networking support in FreeBSD.

I don't know that you're likely to get questions about a Windows-
based proxy server answered anywhere here; you'll probably need to
talk to the vendor of the proxy server.  We just don't do Windows
here (much).  It can't hurt to ask over on -questions, though.

My suggestion would be to plug the cable modem into the FreeBSD
box, put a second network card in the FreeBSD box for the Windows
PCs, and use the advanced networking features of the FreeBSD box
to make your network work.

I've forwarded a copy of this reply to the -questions list, and
directed replies to you and to the -questions lists.  Good luck.