Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:10:53 +0100
From:      XFred <XFred@chx-labs.org>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   VIA82C686 chipset on recent laptops

Hi,
I guess you may have already received news about this chipset ...
I purchased recently a Compaq presario laptop, of course running FreeBSD
4.5 .
After a proper configuration an build of the kernel including the pcm
device, I
experience a problem with the sound driver provided in the distribution
(snd_via82c686.ko) :
The driver is sucessfuly loaded, the devices are functional, but the
output sound
 is very low (mixer output set to the max) and really fuzzy.
I asked VIA tech. for the newest chipset specs or a diff with the
currently avaible
 on alsa project page. I still have no answer from them.

If you need more info, I would be pleased to help.
Anyway, I searched the FreeBSD website for a tutorial on programming kernel
 modules, if you have such a doc already would you send me the link please ?

Thanks,
XFred@chx-labs.org