Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 18:48:18 -0400
From:      DaveChaos@aol.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PONY UP! (was: The -stable problem: my view)

Just wanted to put my two cents in....

I really like the current way of dealing with FreeBSD.  It is exactly that;
free.  I think the answer lies not in pay-for-tech-support but in a better
public knowledge of the option to donate.  I for one have tried BDSI but
returned it and stuck with FreeBSD because I think you get the same quality
product for one helluva lot lower price.  I for one am more than willing to
send a donation of $25 to FreeBSD.  I still saved a few thousand dollars.
 Honestly though, I never knew of the option to donate.  Yes, I know, it is
in the handbook.  But unless I was specifically looking for it....  Perhaps a
small note on the main page suggesting that if you like the product and wish
to support it you may send a donation.
I know of an internet site that charges absolutely nothing for access; they
live off of donations and they seem to be doing quite well.  A lot of people
just donate equipment.  For FreeBSD imagine the possibilities of ISP's
donating hardware....  Some people buy equipment bulk so to give an item or
two to FreeBSD Inc. is a negligible loss to them but can prove to be quite
useful on the FreeBSD side.
Well, that's just my two cents.  I'm just a poor college student so forgive
my desire for  free software! ;)

To the FreeBSD team, a big thanks for all your hard work!

-Dave