Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:03:03 +0200
From:      Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

--nextPart2548977.AsHXLgMVcJ

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 15:52:42 [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Momchil Ivanov wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am running FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #11: Sat Jul 14 16:27:12 CEST 2007
> >> and accidently unplugged the USB hub to which my external hdd
> >> together with a mouse were connected and this caused my machine to
> >> freeze for some seconds and then reboot. At that moment the hdd was
> >> mounted and I was playing music out of it.
> >> After that I tried to reproduce it :) so just plugged only the hdd
> >> directly, mounted it and started playing music files from it. When
> >> I unplugged the USB cable the same thing happened: short freeze,
> >> and then reboot. Is this expected behaviour? And is there some way
> >> to avoid the freeze and reboot?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > Yes, it's expected behavior.  The workaround is to not unplug mounted
> > devices. (There's nothing special about USB here, if you unplugged an
> > IDE drive you'd get the same behavior)
>
> Wouldn't it make some sense not to panic if mounted devices that are in
> sync get removed? A few applications might get in trouble, but that's
> hardly a reason to bring a whole system down.

I don`t know how things work, but shutting down the system when some mounte=
d=20
fs is no longer present seems like the wrong thing to me. It`s surely safe =
:)=20
just bring everything down in order to ensure not messing things ups. But=20
nowadays there are a lot of USB devices and umounting every time is somethi=
ng=20
that one is surely going to forget once and ooops everyting goes down.
If the same thing happens when a network fs is mounted (say NFS or SMBFS) a=
nd=20
then becomes unavailable due to network outages (wireless connections break=
=20
easily compared to cable connections, and nowadays the former become=20
popular), then I think it should be fixed.
"Windows" doesn`t reboot if you unplug the usb or network cable, which I th=
ink=20
is the right way of handling these kind of situations.

Idea: do something like "umount -f" when a fs becomes unavailabe, just tell=
=20
every program that files are unaccessible?

I don`t have the programming skills and knowledge of how freebsd works, tha=
t`s=20
why I can only help with feedback and ideas :) Shutting down the system=20
without user`s desire seems like a problem to me, regardless of the reason.=
=20
And problems are there to be solved.

=2D-=20
PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E =C2=A0158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B
 =20