Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:45:29 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
Subject:   Re: DRM removal soon

In message <20190301005009.4457f46f10c3a8229b5dd7fc@j.email.ne.jp>,
Yoshihiro O
ta writes:
> Hi, all and Cy.
>
> I trimmed most of old posts.
>
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:22:52 -0800
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. drm-legacy-kmod should be removed from ports sooner than later. drm-cu
> rrent-kind works
> > perfectly on older gear like my 13 year old Pentium-M, which was repurposed
>  as an i386 test
> > platform years ago.
>
> Don't worry.
> You are still talking in the unit of years.
> I still occasionally use a laptop from the last century. :)
> Jokes aside, I have 2 questions.
>
> I have a 12.0-RELEASE base system and 12.0 pkg configuration.
> Looking back my operational log, pkg install was like this.
>
> # pkg install drm-kmod
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up to date.
> All repositories are up to date.
> The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>         drm-kmod: g20180930
>         drm-legacy-kmod: g20181031_1
>         gpu-firmware-kmod: g20180825
>
> Question #1:
> drm-current-kmod was mentioned in your reply.  Have I installed wrong kmod?

The drm-kmod meta-port installs the correct drm-*-kmod for you. It
appears the package installed the legacy kmod. If you want to install
drm-current-kmod or drm-fbsd12.0-kmod you'd need to specify either
instead of drm-kmod.

Does it work? If it works, stay with it.

> I do not setup X to come up as a part of boot process.  So, I login via conso
> le and may stay there or decide to startx depending on what I want to do.  I
> can see the driver switching and my kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko" loa
> ds these modules as expected.

X loads the correct kernel modules for you. I don't pre-load any drm
modules. I let X handle everything for me. Yours does as well. It
simply works.

> On the other hand, I still see the following in dmesg.
>
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmo
> d p
> kg
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the graphics/drm-legacy-kmo
> d pkg
> drmn0: =======================================================
> drmn0: Deprecated code (to be removed in FreeBSD 13): drm2 drivers
> drmn0: <Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]> on vgapci0
> info: [drm] RADEON_IS_PCIE
> info: [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (PALM 0x1002:0x9806 0x144D:0xC589
> ).
> info: [drm] register mmio base: 0xFEB00000
> info: [drm] register mmio size: 262144
> info: [drm] radeon_atrm_get_bios: ===> Try ATRM...

The deprecated DRM2 was removed from current after 12 was branched. You
could alter the module_path kenv environment variable to put
/boot/modules before /boot/kernel, but frankly don't mess with it if it
works.

> kldstat -v reports this:
>
>  5    1 0x1900d000   10c000 radeonkms.ko (/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko)
>         Contains modules:
>                  Id Name
>                 529 vgapci/radeonkms
>                 534 drmn/radeon_atom_hw_i2c
>                 531 radeon_iicbb/iicbb
>                 533 radeon_hw_i2c/iicbus
>                 530 drmn/radeon_iicbb
>                 532 drm/radeon_hw_i2c
>  6    1 0x19119000    4e000 drm2.ko (/boot/kernel/drm2.ko)
>         Contains modules:
>                  Id Name
>                 525 drmn/drm_iic_dp_aux
>                 526 drmn
>
> Question #2.
> Am I loading the right driver set?

In your case installing the package is a NOP because the base drm is
loaded because it's first in the kld search path. If X works, then
don't worry about it.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>