Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:25:07 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA card with wrong MAC-Address

Hi, I've got a Trust 10/100Mb pccard, with an interesting problem.

This is on FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE (I'm actually trying to upgrade
to stable, which is why I put the netcard in...)

I've got it installed, and set up, but the card/driver thinks
that it's mac address is something other than it is.

I can't find the correct (as identified by dos) mac address anywhere
in the cards memory - obviously it should be there somewhere!

If I run the diagnostic software under dos I am told it is
00:e0:98:34:d8:26, yet FreeBSD finds it as 1:d4:ff:3:0:20.

I can ping and telnet from the laptop to other machines on the
network, but can't go back the other way, the flashing lights on the
connector happily flash away when I ping from the laptop, and
I really can connect outbound, just not the other way round,
it doesn't even show up with nmap or strobe.

The only way to get the activity light to flash on the laptop is if
from another machine on the network I do the following :

arp -d <laptopaddress>
ping <laptopaddress>

Then the activity light flashes the first time, just once and then
doesn't come back on - this I'm guessing, is because it responds to an
arp-who-has or something, but with the wrong address, and therefore
subsequent packets don't make it to the laptop.

However, no matter how screwed up this is, I can actually connect from
the laptop to anything else on the network, just not the other way
round.

Of course, it might not be a pccard problem at all, but it sure looks
like one! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

( I've been through fairly obvious stuff :
hosts.allow says all : all :allow )
Tia,

	Steve Roome

P.S. Not subscribed to questions- so please don't just
reply to the list as I won't see it!