Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:43:46 +0100
From:      Tim T Bos <flyweight@casema.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.1 and opensound

What are the right dev permissions for a soundcard (M audio delta 1010le ) 10 in 10 out running the OpenSoundSystem

/dev/dsp*
/dev/audio*
/dev/mixer*
/dev/dspW*
/dev/midi*

It works under root but thats really no option. I need to get the users (me myself and i) to acces the sound card and i think /dev/dsp1 tm 10 are the audio outputs and /dev/dspW1 tm 10  are the audio inputs.
I'm (as a user) a member of wheel and the permission currently say CRW----.it is owned by the user (me) and the group is wheel.
I also have to mention i run FBSD 6.1 but the current available Opensound driver is for 6.0.

I did a chmod 666 to all audio devs and then the system hangs.

Is there work going on on the audio subsystem?

Or i'm a doing sometheing stuppid?

My soundcard needs a pro licence from oss but that will cost me $60 for driver and pro option.:(

Please i'm desperado.. any pointers are welcome.

Peace T.