Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2017 21:21:03 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge r210 II

El día Friday, January 27, 2017 a las 09:16:18PM -0500, Chris Hill escribió:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>
> > The company I'm working for, decided to put some older rack mount
> > servers into dust bin and I'm saving a Dell PowerEdge r210 II with 16
> > GByte RAM and 8 CPU of 3.3 GHz as my new poudiere oven. The server has
> > no disks (because they must be destroyed). I booted FreeBSD CURRENT
> > amd64 from an USB key and have below the dmsg(1) and ifconfig(8)
> > output, attached below.
> >
> > http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/PowerEdge_R210_Tech_Guide.pdf
> >
> > Any comments about this "project" and any ideas about the disks to buy?
> > Thx
>
> That looks like a pretty kick-ass machine. I hope you'll have it in a
> server room, or some place away from the general public; seems like it
> would be as noisy as a hovercraft.

Re/ the noise, when I tested it with the USB booted system, it was like
a hovercraft on the power-on self-tests, but nearly silent on boot. But,
I can imagine, when poudriere compiles on 8 CPUs the ports, if will cry.
I plan to install it in my cellar. The only problem there will be the LAN
access; my Wifi signal is not visible there, but the power outlet is
connected with my flat and I could use some PowerLAN adapters to connect
it to my network.

I can not see 8 CPUs and 16 GB RAM thrown to waste.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045