Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 22:41:13 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.freebsd.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FYI: jp.FreeBSD.org daily SNAPSHOTs server renewal

We jp.FreeBSD.org daily SNAPSHOTs project please to announce the
renewal of our service.

(1) Hostname change to 'snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org'.

Our old service host, current.jp.FreeBSD.org does provide both
5-current and 4-stable snapshots.  However, many users argues that its
name 'current' associates *only* 5-current, and not 4-stable.

So I decided to rename to our service host to 'snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org'.

If you already know what CURRENT.jp.FreeBSD.org is, please keep in
mind the hostname you remembered to SNAPSHOTS.jp.FreeBSD.org.

(2) Three new PCs for the service.

Our previous service was hosted by only one PC; it builds 5-current
and 4-stable everyday, and runs ftp/www/rsync daemon.  But we get
3 new PCs; one for 5-current build, one for 4-stable build, and the
last one for ftp/www/rsync daemon plus supporting services.  We get
more powers to serve.

(3) Everday ISO image. CVS repository ISO image.

Recent traffic statistics shows that most users carry ISO image which
was generated twice a week.  But we have more power.  We generates ISO
image everyday.  You may fetch the latest CD-ROM snapshots at anytime.

Some of you knows that the 2nd disc of official CD-ROM (fixit) have
CVS repository tarball -- we also start providing daily CVS repository
ISO image.  It would help that you running FreeBSD apart from the
Internet and can't cvsup to official mirrors.

(4) More network bandwidth.

Our new PCs are located at japan's famous NOC.  New location provides
us a better connectivity in IPv4 and IPv6.

(5) Other services are there as expected.

We have provided, and will provide lots of SNAPSHOTs related services.
If you have interested, check http://snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org/ for
more details.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA