Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:41:18 +0100
From:      "elaconta.com Webmaster" <webmaster@elaconta.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Gateway to replace old Linux gateway

Howdy

We have here an old (Mandrake Linux 8 - yeah i know...) PC with two NICs
which serves as a firewall for our LAN and runs a Bind caching nameserver.
Although the machine is getting old, it still works well. Thing is, i'm
having a hard time trying to reproduce it, that is, getting another PC
to do exactly the same thing this PC is doing. It was configured by a
guy that left the company, so i can't simply ask him how he configured
it configured.
It's a precautionary measure, if the machine breaks down we need another
one to go in its place.
So while am at it i would love to replace the crusty old thing with a
new one running FreeBSD.
The networking scheme is:

Router (192.168.1.120) <-> (192.168.1.121) Firewall PC (192.168.1.122)
<-> (192.168.1.0/24) LAN

Now, thing is, the Linux firewall has two NICs:

NIC 1: 192.168.1.121
NIC 2: 192.168.1.122

The two NICs on the Linux box are configured with 192.168.1.121 and
192.168.1.122, both interfaces on the same subnet. 192.168.1.121 acesses
the company router (192.168.1.120) and 192.168.1.122 acesses the company
LAN (192.168.1.0/24)
>From what i've googled, this shouldn't even be possible, everything is
on the same subnet. Regardless, it works great, and if i went and got an
FreeBSD rig to replace the old Linux rig, it would have to retain this
networking scheme, we can't afford to reconfigure the entire network
just for switching our firewall.

I known we could use a network bridge, but we need the caching
nameserver functionality.

I'm an all round Unix guy, but i'm a bit green on the routing departament.

Can an FreeBSD box be configured the same way the Linux box is so it can
be a drop-in replacement for the Linux box? I can of course depict in
further detail the configuration of the Linux box (netstat -r to show
the routes, ifconfig or whatever).

I've already prepped a FreeBSD 6.1 box which already works if the NICs in the gateway
are in different subnets (dc0 is 192.168.1.125 and dc1 is 192.168.0.5, for instance),
i've changed a PC in the network to the 192.168.0.20 IP (instead of 192.168.1.20) and
if connected without a problem to the Internet, but we have lots of appliances which
depend on the 192.168.1.0 style network. We would need the two NICs in the box to be in the same subnet...

Elaconta.com Webmaster