Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:45:33 GMT
From:      Ivan Zaera Avellon <izaera@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/148112: Atheros 9285 cannot register with wifi AP (timeout)

>Number:         148112
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Atheros 9285 cannot register with wifi AP (timeout)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have installed the recent 8.1 BETA 1 on an Eee PC 1005HA and I'm experiencing problems
with the wireless card. It is correctly recognized and configured. I have an ath0 device and I
can create an wlan0 without problems. I can even scan with wlan0 and sometimes I see my
wireless router. The problem is when wpa_supplicant tries to register with the network that it
fails. BTW, I have a WEP system with long key (13 hex digits).

I have sniffed the wireless network with another computer and the packets seem to be all
correct: the Eee PC sends correct packets to the air, and the wifi router replies them correctly,
but wpa_supplicant reports "registration timed out", as if it wasn't receiving the packets.

It is nevertheless very strange because around 2-3 weeks ago I had the STABLE branch installed
on the same Eee PC and the wifi worked (not always, but it succedeed always when it was near
the router and the PC was just being rebooted).

I have compiled my kernel with AH_DEBUG and ATH_DEBUG so I can also send dmesg traces
if anyone can analyze them.