Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:26:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <arch@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        sheldonh@starjuice.net
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

In article <79909.1012481992@axl.seasidesoftware.co.za>,
Sheldon Hearn  <sheldonh@starjuice.net> wrote:

> I didn't realize that cvsup mirrors might offer me a src/bin that's
> newer than the src/sbin that it offers me (for example).

Yes, that's what would happen, except most likely in reverse.  CVSup
processes the tree in alphabetical order.

But I object to this idea for a different reason.  Every day a large
number of commits are made to the src tree.  You are proposing that
every one of those commits would add a delta to the serial number
file.  That file would soon have tens of thousands of deltas.  That
makes it quite inefficient for both cvs and CVSup.  This idea simply
doesn't scale to the long-term.

If you want a serial number file, I wouldn't mind if it got a
commit, say, once a week or maybe even once a day.  But to do it on
every change to the src tree is overkill.

CVSup already grabs a timestamp from the server when it begins to
update each new collection.  In my copious spare time I am working on
making this timestamp propagate through multiple levels of mirrors so
it will be available to clients.  CVSup could store that timestamp
somewhere for future reference.  I could also make it get a timestamp
at the _end_ of each collection.  Then each user would receive a
fairly narrow time window (one minute or so) with a guarantee that all
file versions came from within that window.  That seems like a much
more reasonable solution than an ever-growing serial number file.

John

PS - I changed the from address because I don't want to be on the
cc of a long thread.  Don't add me back.  I'll read this stuff in
freebsd-arch.  And don't lecture me about procmail, because I know
exactly what I'm doing. :-)
--
  John Polstra