Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:10:52 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports: 1 unfetchable distfiles: shells/ksh93

On Sunday 09 October 2005 16:17,  the author Bill Fenner contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: FreeBSD ports: 1 unfetchable distfiles: shells/ksh93:

>>While you are looking at this issue -- is there any way a request to the
>>port
>>maintainer could be initiated, asking the maintainer to regularly check the
>>status of the port when the port is broken (file cannot be fetched) to
>> bring the port up todate?
>
>Normally, the distfile survey would send a periodic email to
>maintainers of ports that are unfetchable; however, it doesn't
>send email about ports that are marked "BROKEN".  This has an
>unfortunate interaction with ports that are marked BROKEN because
>they're unfetchable.
>
>Fixing this interaction will go on my TODO list.
>
>>For example Zend cannot be fetched. I think what happened was Zend
>>created a port of the Zend server which can install, right out of
>>the box. The mistaken assumption seems to have been made that the the
>>current ZendStudio file from Zend will also unpack without the need for
>>a port. The fact is it does not.
>
>What it looks like to me is that Zend changed how you get the
>evaluation version and the port didn't get updated.  The port is
>for 3_5_2 and the current version appears to be 4.0.

Yes - the current studio version = ZendStudio-4_0_2.tar.gz
with a beta= ZendStudio-5_0_0Beta2.tar.gz

the server beta is
ZendStudioServer-5.0.0Beta-freebsd5.1-i386.tar.gz

This needs to fix the way it pushes php.iini to /usr/local/Zend/

and installs a symbolic link to that location from /usr/local/etc/

if many more people do that we will have a path to php.ini which goes through
multiple symbolic links <chuckles> - not to mention the problems when we go
across filing systems!!

>> I hate it when ports drop out of maintainence and finish up not being
>>available.
>
>Me too.  However, people can't always keep up with the things that
>they'd like to do.  I spent about 3 years not being a good port
>maintainer and neglecting the distfile survey - other things came
>up.

Well we are all human except me and I never make a timsake :-)

>>Also installing as a port has significant benefits -- so how
>>do we get a system that deals with these 'oddities'?
>
>Eliminate the people from the system?...

I always thought starwars had some potential value!!

david

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.